• NIH Ruth L. Kirschtein Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2013
• BSF Travel Grant for Young Scientists, 2013
• BMS Graduate Fellowship in Organic Chemistry, 2013
• Roche Excellence in Chemistry Award, 2012
• NSF Predoctoral Fellowship, 2009
The Gutekunst Lab is interested in pushing the limits of complexity in macromolecular systems using innovative concepts from synthetic organic chemistry. Specific projects in the lab will explore the design of novel monomers for the construction of functional polyamides, the development of small molecule reagents for the dynamic modulation of branched polymer architectures, and the investigation of new concepts for creating covalent bonds in challenging contexts. Each of these research projects will enable the generation of new functional materials with structures or assemblies that were previously inaccessible for study. Prospective students will obtain extensive training in synthetic organic chemistry, as well as polymer synthesis and characterization.