Georgia Tech undergraduates are invited to apply for the the Biomolecular Engineering, Science, and Technology (BEST) Study Abroad Program in Lyon, France for 2018. The BEST-Lyon program combines study at Georgia Institute of Technology, the premier science and engineering institution in the southern U.S., with a summer experience at CPE-Lyon University, a university rich in history in the chemical sciences, engineering, and technology. Participants can explore the inventions of Louis Pasteur, Victor Grignard, Pierre and Marie Curie while studying in France's "second-city", Lyon. Transient students are also welcome to apply to the program.
Program Dates: Wednesday, May 16, 2018-Monday, July 16, 2018 (tentative)
Students may earn 5-8 GT credits from the following courses as part of this ~ 8-week study abroad program:
- BIOL 3450 RBT-Cell and Molecular Biology, 3 credits
- CHEM 2311 RBT-Organic Chemistry I, 3 credits
- CHEM 2312 RBT-Organic Chemistry II, 3 credits. Note: B.S. in Chemistry and B.S. in Biochemistry requirements allow either CHEM 2312 or CHEM 2313 to satisfy degree requirements.
- CHEM 2380 RBT-Synthesis Lab I, 2 credits
- CHEM 2801 RBT-Special Topics-Chemistry, 1 credit
- FREN 1001 RBT-Introduction to French, 3 credits
Students visit cultural and scientific site visits in the region (e.g. Pasteur Institute, Pasteur Museum, and Curie Museum in Paris and CERN in Geneva, the Roman ruins of Old Lyon, the Beaujolais region of France). For a look at the 2012-2017 BEST Lyon summer activities, check out the Georgia Tech BEST Lyon France facebook page - GT students only. The detailed schedule of courses and program excursions is expected to be available in mid March 2018. Course syllabi will be available in early/mid May. Information will be posted via t-square for program participants.
Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. If Georgia Tech cancels the entire program before departure for reasons within its control, all fees paid by participants will be refunded. If Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest or danger to participants’ safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants.
- Youtube Interviews-Georgia Tech Students from Summer 2016
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Information Session Slides
- RatherBeLyon (Slideshow)
- Photos (housing, transportation, others)
- Lyon Tourism Office
- Websites to help with learning free, basic French communication: Radio Lingua, BBC Languages. English is spoken through out much of France. You do not have to be fluent in French to participate in the program.
Interested in knowing more about study abroad in Lyon: Please contact GT BEST Lyon Program Director: Cameron Tyson
Other study abroad programs in the College of Sciences at Georgia Tech include:
- Barcelona Fall Study Abroad Program (offered fall semesters)
- Valencia Study Abroad Program (offered summers-even years)
- Pacific Study Abroad Program (offered spring semesters)